In the United States, over a third of all the food we grow is lost to spoilage and wasted before we can eat it. In the developing world, more than half of all produce is lost to spoilage before it can be consumed. Apeel Sciences creates agricultural solutions inspired by and derived from nature for growers to protect their crops and increase the shelf life of harvested fresh produce. We are committed to being a technological and environmental trailblazer at the interface between the agricultural, materials science, chemistry, biotechnology, and engineering industries to eliminate food waste and reduce reliance on pesticides. Our mission is to enable widespread, positive impacts through the development of high-performance pre- and post-harvest products and processes that conserve our precious natural resources and safeguard the Earth’s delicate ecological balance.
Apeel is comprised of highly talented, deeply passionate, and strongly tight-knit team members who are excited by the opportunity to challenge the status quo, are obsessed with solving problems, and truly seek to positively change how we feed the world.
Our people are core and absolutely fundamental to our company’s success and continued growth. Look around and what do you see? Team members who are working tirelessly and selflessly—not to serve themselves—but to help the team as a whole strategically, aggressively, and collectively realize a shared mission and vision. If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, tackle challenges (and opportunities!) head-on, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
About the Formulation Sciences Team
Chemists, chemical engineers, catalysis specialists, and materials scientists form the core of our Formulation Sciences Team. The Team develops new methodologies to extract, create, or reassemble natural building blocks derived from plant biomass for use in our products. After combining those building blocks into formulations for use on fresh produce, the Team studies the produce and the material to better understand the observed properties and improve the formulation. Through a design-develop-test product development cycle, the Team identifies key drivers of produce decay and optimizes the formulations to extend produce shelf life. Once the critical building blocks of our formulations are identified, the Team develops processes to scale-up the extraction and production of the individual components.
Apeel Sciences is seeking a creative, resourceful, and passionate candidate with a background in synthetic organic chemistry for the Molecular Discovery team of Formulation Sciences. An individual interested in this role will be responsible for processing and separating biomass in order to isolate and identify individual molecules for testing in our formulations. Additionally, Senior Scientists will be responsible for designing synthetic strategies and synthesizing new molecular candidates based on our isolated extracts. Senior Scientists are expected to regularly interface with Molecular Biologists, Materials Scientists, and Plant Physiologists thought a design-develop-test product development cycle. Candidates who have demonstrated the ability to synthesize complex molecules through multi-step organic syntheses and/or have demonstrated the ability to develop new organic chemistry methodologies are encouraged to apply.
What You’ll Do
- Process and separate raw biomass using physical, chemical, and hydrothermal methods.
- Fractionate extracts to identify and isolate molecular components for testing in our formulations.
- Design synthetic strategies and synthesize candidates from plant-derived molecular families.
- Functionalize and derivatize extracted materials to enable the development of new product lines.
- Interface with Molecular Biologists, Materials Scientists, and Plant Physiologists to elucidate structure activity relationships for molecular families.
- Collect and analyze experimental data and prepare presentations and reports in order to disseminate experimental results to the team.
What You Bring
- A Ph.D. in Chemistry with an emphasis in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Experience making and derivatizing complex molecules through multistep syntheses.
- A proven track record of synthetic chemistry excellence, as demonstrated by an extensive publication and presentation record.
- A commitment to workplace and laboratory safety.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in diverse, interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience with standard analytical chemistry techniques, including but not limited to: NMR, IR, UV/Vis, MS, etc.
- Practical expertise in chemical separations techniques, including but not limited to: chromatography, distillation, crystallization, etc.
- A demonstrated commitment to learning and mentorship.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.