In the United States, over a third of all the food we grow is lost to spoilage and wasted before we can eat it. In the developing world, more than half of all produce is lost to spoilage before it can be consumed. Apeel Sciences creates agricultural solutions inspired by and derived from nature for growers to protect their crops and increase the shelf life of harvested fresh produce. We are committed to being a technological and environmental trailblazer at the interface between the agricultural, materials science, chemistry, biotechnology, and engineering industries to eliminate food waste and reduce reliance on pesticides. Our mission is to enable widespread, positive impacts through the development of high performance pre- and post-harvest products and processes that conserve our precious natural resources and safeguard the Earth’s delicate ecological balance.
Apeel is comprised of highly talented, deeply passionate, and strongly tight-knit team members who are excited by the opportunity to challenge the status quo, are obsessed with solving problems, and truly seek to positively change how we feed the world.
Our people are core and absolutely fundamental to our company’s success and continued growth. Look around and what do you see? Team members who are working tirelessly and selflessly—not to serve themselves—but to help the team as a whole strategically, aggressively, and collectively realize a shared mission and vision. If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, tackle challenges (and opportunities!) head-on, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
About This Division
Working closely with our Engineering Division while reporting into our Operations Division, our Field Operations Team is responsible for taking over day-to-day product application and quality assurance operations at our customers’ facilities following installation and commissioning of Apeel equipment. This includes, but is not limited to, prescribing optimized formulations to use with incoming produce, operating the application equipment (e.g., mixing tanks, sprayers, conveyors), monitoring the product performance on treated produce, troubleshooting, and nurturing customer relationships. Like all divisions of the company, this team works in a highly collaborative environment to navigate and overcome obstacles to our company’s goals.
Apeel Sciences is seeking independent and self-motivated individuals to work with our customers at their facilities in the Santa Barbara, CA area to ensure the customers receive the maximum benefit from our products on their produce. The Field Service Technician will be the face of Apeel at the customer locations, providing the Apeel post-harvest treatment service and working with the customer plant operators to meet customer and Apeel requirements. He or she will coordinate and communicate with Sales representatives, other field specialists, and Apeel HQ staff to resolve issues and improve processes.
What You’ll Do
The Field Service Technician will be responsible for:
Services and Operations:
- Work closely with Field Engineers to enable successful facility preparation, equipment installation, and transfer of procedures to other Field Specialists.
- Operate, clean, and troubleshoot on-site equipment for application of Apeel products onto produce.
- Prepare batches of Apeel products.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks and execute or recommend and coordinate larger repairs or upgrades.
- Work closely with other field staff, including Field Engineers, customers’ packing house staff, as well as personnel (e.g., scientists, engineers, and Customer Success representatives) at Apeel Headquarters (HQ).
- Work with field staff and Apeel HQ engineers and scientists to develop and adhere to standard operating procedures and make suggestions for modifications in a commitment to continuous improvement programs.
- Respond to unplanned events and solve customer technical problems as they are identified, requested, or arise, all while maintaining positive customer relations.
Product and Service Monitoring and Improvements:
- Collect and analyze data on Apeel-treated produce; prepare reports on product performance.
- Identify, communicate internally, and quickly resolve (with field and HQ support) any issues that could impact Apeel’s customers or other stakeholders in the produce value chain.
- Collaborating with Apeel engineers responsible for the design and installation of the application equipment and with scientists to optimize equipment operation product performance, respectively.
- Identifying and implementing modifications or upgrades to equipment to benefit Apeel and Apeel’s customers.
Customer Relations, Sales, Logistics:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with customer staff.
- Maintain open and frequent communications with the customers’ Apeel Sales Representatives to understand and/or communicate customer needs/issues.
- Receive, manage, and monitor inventory levels of Apeel products at customer location and work with Logistics to ensure adequate levels are maintained for service continuity.
- Continuously look for opportunities that benefit both Apeel and the customer.
- Scout facilities for future integrations for existing and future customers.
What You Bring
- AS/BS degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial Engineering or Engineering Technology, Agriculture, or similar technical degree preferred; experience without a degree strongly considered.
- 2+ years of experience working in a technical field would be favorable, with a preference for those related to field services, agriculture, food & beverage manufacturing, or capital project execution.
- Thrives in an independent work environment and possesses the ability to autonomously drive projects.
- Extremely detail and process oriented.
- Strong ability to analyze processes, equipment, operations, and data to detect issues and develop recommendations.
- Experience with post-harvest applications preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Ability to perform indoor and outdoor work in cold or hot environments.
- Ability to lift and move boxes of produce (up to 50 lbs).
- Willingness to travel frequently (regional, national, and international, as needed) is required (75%)
- Ability to work night shifts on rotation
- Able to commit to 3 weeks of initial training in Santa Barbara, CA.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.