In the United States, over a third of all the food we grow is lost to spoilage and wasted before we can eat it. In the developing world, more than half of all produce is lost to spoilage before it can be consumed. Apeel Sciences creates agricultural solutions inspired by and derived from nature for growers to protect their crops and increase the shelf life of harvested fresh produce. We are committed to being a technological and environmental trailblazer at the interface between the agricultural, materials science, chemistry, biotechnology, and engineering industries to eliminate food waste and reduce reliance on pesticides. Our mission is to enable widespread, positive impacts through the development of high-performance pre- and post-harvest products and processes that conserve our precious natural resources and safeguard the Earth’s delicate ecological balance.
Apeel is comprised of highly talented, deeply passionate, and strongly tight-knit team members who are excited by the opportunity to challenge the status quo, are obsessed with solving problems, and are truly committed to positively changing how we feed the world.
Our people are our core and are absolutely fundamental to our company’s success and continued growth. Look around and what do you see? Team members who are working tirelessly and selflessly—not to serve themselves—but to help the team as a whole strategically, aggressively, and collectively realize a shared mission and vision. If you are ready for an opportunity to jump in, tackle challenges (and opportunities!) head-on, take ownership, and drive meaningful outcomes in a highly collaborative, communicative, and dynamic environment, we would love to connect with you!
Apeel Sciences is seeking a highly motivated and creative Senior Process Development Engineer to assist in the development of scalable processes used to access key components of Apeel formulations. This individual will be responsible for developing lab-scale proof-of-concept processes that will transition to kilo-lab and pilot-scale manufacturing, with a large emphasis placed on the development of continuous process technologies. Familiarity with reaction engineering is a prerequisite for this position, however, the primary role of the Senior Process Development Engineer will be to develop the integral separation units to be used in our processes.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop and optimize lab-scale proof-of-concept separations processes that will transition to kilo-lab and pilot-scale manufacturing. This will include the maintenance, modification, and creation of new equipment as well.
- Design and execute experiments and analyze experimental data to inform process scale-up.
- Develop continuous process technologies.
- Perform process modelling and simulation; analyze current or proposed process alternatives for improved environmental impact, safety, and economics.
- Author SOPs and demonstrate good laboratory and documentation practices.
- Operate kilo-lab scale processes under a GMP environment.
- Provide routine technical reports and oral presentations of work.
What You Bring:
- The ideal candidate will have one of the following:
- BS in Chemical Engineering, 5+ years of experience in a hands-on process research position
- MS in Chemical Engineering, 3+ years of experience in a hands-on process research position
- PhD in Chemical Engineering, (experience is a plus)
- Hands-on practical experience with separations engineering.
- Experience with developing distillation and/or crystallization processes.
- Familiarity with common place compression fittings and piping.
- Experience with process modeling and simulation software.
- Experience with wet chemistry and analytical instrumentation (HPLC, UV-Vis, NMR, GC).
- Prior experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis.
- The ability to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary environment.
- Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.